Monday, April 11, 2011

Happiness & Decluttering

As part of her project, Rubin decided to declutter her apartment. She started with her own closet and gradually worked her way through her house. The decluttering actually provided her with a great deal of satisfaction. The visual emptiness of the space cleared her mind. She also felt as if she had more clothes since she had kept only the ones she lived and wore, which she could easily find.

I am a big fan of decluttering. Over the years, I've assisted family members in decluttering their houses and apartments. Every time I do so, I then return home and do a quick declutter of my apartment. Every season, I go through clothes and donate unwanted ones. However, I do think decluttering can be taken to an extreme. I always wait a day before I finally donate or discard an item to see if I'll change my mind.

The perceived need to live in a spartan environment can cause as much unhappiness as living in an overly cluttered one. Sometimes we need some clutter or disorder to humanize our environment. One of the few places where I've seen this need acknowledged is on a voluntary simplicity blog that I follow: http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/less-stuff-doesnt-equal-happiness-either/

During the course of Rubin's decluttering, She offers to clean out the closets of her friends. At one point, her husband even chastises her for immediately offering to declutter the apartment of their dinner hosts.While I think that it is great that Rubin wants to share happiness with her friends and loved ones, she also might want to look at the several compassionate and sensible posts on decluttering in that voluntary simplicity blog.

1 comment:

H. Wagner said...

Decluttering is a great way to increase the value of other people's collectibles. Rare baseball cards would not be worth what they are today without those that have thrown out their children's collections.